Live is slow to start or hangs on launch
- Live Versions: 8 - 10
- Operating System: All
Live should normally launch within 3-10 seconds, or sometimes a little longer if your computer is slower. However if Live takes an abnormally long time to launch, or completely hangs on launch, see below for possible solutions.
1. "Live is not responding" and fails to launch
If Live fails to launch, and the application shows as "not responding", this could be caused by a connected peripheral. Troubleshoot as follows:
- Shut down the computer completely.
- Disconnect all USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt peripherals (audio interface, hub, external drives, printer etc).
- Restart the computer.
- Try to launch Live.
- If it works, then close it again and connect your peripherals one by one, testing each time by launching Live in between.
If you manage to pinpoint the issue to one device, try the following:
- Change the cable that you're using to connect it with. Make sure to use a high quality cable with a ferrite bead.
- Try connecting directly rather than through a hub (if used).
- Make sure that the drivers and firmware for that device are updated (where applicable).
- If necessary re-install the drivers.
- If it continues to stop Live from launching, troubleshoot with support from the manufacturer.
2. Live is slow to launch
In case Live takes more than 30 seconds to launch this could be occurring for one of the following reasons:
Large or corrupt Template Set or Preferences
The Live preferences and template set (if any) are loaded each time you launch Live. Reset Live to restore these to the defaults, and then see if that speeds up the launch time.
If there is a very large amount of files in the folders added to Places, then this could result in a slow launch time. Only add discrete folders, and not entire drives to Places. See the dedicated article here: Adding and managing content in Places.
Incompatible MIDI Drivers (Mac)
Outdated MIDI drivers from other software can cause all MIDI applications to hang while trying to initialize this driver. See the dedicated solution here: Live hangs while launching due to outdated MIDI drivers.