Live hangs while launching due to outdated MIDI drivers (Mac)
- Live Versions: All
- Operating System: OS X 10.7 and higher
The most prominent MIDI problem on OSX is caused by a Digidesign MIDI driver which is obviously not fully compatible with later versions of OSX and causes all MIDI applications to hang while trying to initialize this driver. The system's Audio-MIDI-Setup is for example also affected (/Applications/Utilities/).
In this case, you will notice the following problems:
- Live is unresponsive while launching on Mac OS 10.7 or above and takes 5-10 minutes to start.
- No MIDI ports listed in Live's preferences → MIDI/Sync tab.
- This error message might appear: "Company Support Dir not found"
- Audio/Midi Utility might fail to load the midi window
To solve this issue, take these steps:
- Install the latest Pro Tools 10 update, or:
- Remove the Digidesign MIDI driver DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin from this folder: Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/
- Please contact Avid to obtain a compatible MIDI driver for your Pro Tools hardware.
Note: Other outdated MIDI drivers can also cause these issues. If there is no Digidesign driver in the MIDI Driver folder, you can delete any other suspect midi drivers.
For further information please refer to the following Avid knowledge base article.