- Live Versions: All
- Operating System: All
Using the Latest Live Version is always recommended. To enable automatic updates:
- Open Live's Preferences → Licenses/Maintenance
- Under Maintenance → Get Automatic Updates, select Always.
For more help, visit Troubleshooting Automatic Updates.
Sometimes it's necessary to update Live manually. To do this, visit your Ableton account to download and install the most current version. Detailed instructions are linked here:
It's not necessary to uninstall previous versions of Live before updating.
Note on compatibility:
- Sets saved in 11.2.x cannot be opened in Live 11.1.x or earlier.
- Sets saved in Live 11.1. cannot be opened in Live 11.0.x.
To avoid accidental overwriting of an older set, Live will prompt you to save a new version, using the option "Save as…” Make sure to save this version under a new name:
For more information, see Backward Compatibility.
How to update from Live 11.1
Live 11.2 will automatically update from Live 11.1.x, if automatic updates are enabled as described above.
How to update from Live 11.0.12 or earlier
To update from Live 11.0.x, you must install the current version manually via Ableton.com. If your installed version is Live 11.0.12 or earlier, Live 11.1 or later will not update automatically, even if Automatic Updates are enabled in Live's Preferences. Login to your Ableton account for the link to download and Install the current version of Live.
Live 11 Builds
Ableton.com will automatically detect which installer is correct for your computer’s operating system. You can also select manually between different builds of Live, if needed. Here’s how to choose the right build for your system:
- Apple Intel (macOS 10.14 Mojave through macOS 12 Monterey)
- Apple Silicon (M1, M2)
- Apple Intel (macOS 10.13 High Sierra only)
Note: You can force Live to run as an Intel application via Rosetta 2 on an Apple Silicon-based Mac, as explained here. However, this isn't necessary if your plug-ins are updated for Apple Silicon. When in doubt, please check the latest Apple Silicon and macOS compatibility information provided by each plug-in developer.
- All Windows computers
Note for all builds:
- It's possible to install multiple versions of Live, as described here: Installing multiple versions of Live.
- If you primarily use the Live 11.2 beta version and would like to transfer your preferences to the Live 11.2 release version, you can copy them to the latest version as explained here: Using the Trial or Beta Preferences in a release version
More information about installing Live is available in these articles: