Authorizing Live for all users on macOS with Sassafras
Sassafras KeyServer must be installed on one computer and visible on the network to all client computers.
KeyAccess Client (available in the Sassafras KeyClient package) must be installed on each machine you want to use Live on, and the IP address or DNS name of the KeyServer computer must be supplied in the appropriate place during the client install.
Put the license file (ableton_xxx.lic) you received from Ableton into the “KeyServer Data Folder” of your Sassafras KeyServer installation. This license file is available from Ableton Support upon request.
Stop and then start the KeyServer service (a restart might not be enough).
Setting up Live for multi-user authorization:
- Login with admin credentials to the computer.
- Install the latest version of Live. You can download this from your Ableton.com user account.
- Allow the software to load completely, then close it without authorizing.
Manually create a Preferences folder in a shared location
- Open this folder: Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/
- Create a new folder called Ableton and within this folder create a new folder called Live x.x.x. (replace x.x.x with the correct Live version, e.g. Live 10.1.30)
- The full path of the newly created folder should be: Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/
Create an Options.txt file and add it to the shared Preferences folder
- Using TextEdit, create a plain text file. In the Format menu click "Make Plain Text".
- Add this line to the text file: -LicenseServer
- Auto-updates will break the multi-user configuration, so we recommend that you disable them for all users by also adding this line: -_DisableAutoUpdates
- Save the text file and name it Options.txt
- Move the text file into the shared Preferences folder you just created
Delete the default Preferences folder
- Open Finder and click "Go" from the menu bar. Press and hold the "alt/option" key, then click on the Library shortcut which appears.
- Navigate to /Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x and delete the /Live x.x.x folder (replace x.x.x with the correct Live version, e.g. Live 10.1.30).
- Full path: MacintoshHD/Users/[AdminUsername]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x
Log-in as a standard user and test
- Login with a standard user account and test to see that Live launches without asking for authorization.
Repeat the above steps on every computer
- This process needs to be repeated on all computers in the lab.
Install Live Packs (optional)
- Live Packs can be installed to a shared location.
- Create a folder for Live Packs in a shared location on the computer, for example: MacintoshHD/Users/Shared/Ableton/Factory Packs/
- From Live's Preferences > Library tab, set the Installation Folder for Packs to the folder you just created.
- Download and install your Live Packs.
- Set the location of the shared Packs folder for all users by going to the default Preferences folder at MacintoshHD/Users/[AdminUsername]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x and copy the Library.cfg file.
- Then navigate to the shared Preferences folder you created at Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live x.x.x/ and paste the Library.cfg file there.