Authorizing Live for all users on Windows (without Sassafras)
- Live Versions: Live 9.1 and above
- Operating System: Win
Step 1: Install Live
- Login with admin credentials to the computer.
- Install the latest version of Live. You can download this from your Ableton.com user account.
Step 2: Authorize Live
- Launch Live. The authorization screen will pop up.
- Follow the instructions to authorize Live online (the easiest method). You can also authorize offline if the computer is not connected to the internet.
- Once successfully authorized, close Live.
Step 3: Copy the Unlock.cfg file
Live's authorization is stored in a file called Unlock.cfg.
- As you'll need to access hidden folders several times throughout the course of this task, we recommend that you permanently display all hidden folders using these instructions.
- Open this hidden folder: C:\Users\[AdminUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Unlock\
- Note: The x's in the folder paths mentioned above, (i.e Live x.x.x) are placeholders. On your system, the name of the this folder will be the version of Live you have installed (eg. Live 10.0.6).
- Copy the Unlock.cfg file contained there:
Step 4: Manually create a new Unlock folder in a shared location
Now you need to manually create an unlock folder in a shared location, and paste the Unlock.cfg there so that all user accounts can access it.
- In Windows explorer open this hidden folder: C:\ProgramData\Ableton
- Right click to create a new folder and name it CommonConfiguration
- Within this folder create a new folder called Live x.x.x. (replace x.x.x with the correct Live version, Eg. Live 10.0.6)
- Within this folder create a new folder called Unlock
- The entire path of the newly created folder structure should be: C:\ProgramData\Ableton\CommonConfiguration\Live x.x.x\Unlock\
- Now paste the copied Unlock.cfg into this newly created Unlock folder:
Step 5: Delete the default Unlock folder
In order for Live to use the unlock file in the newly created shared location, the default unlock folder needs to be deleted:
- Delete the default Unlock folder (C:\Users\[AdminUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Unlock\)
Step 6: Disable automatic updates using a shared Preferences folder option
As creation of the shared folder is a manual process, if Live auto-updates it will break this configuration. Therefore we recommend that you disable automatic updates for all users on the computer:
- Open the newly created shared folder: C:\ProgramData\Ableton\CommonConfiguration\Live x.x.x\
- Create a new folder there called Preferences
- Right click and select New → Text Document.
- Add this line to the text file: "-_DisableAutoUpdates" (without quotations).
- Save the text file as Options.txt
Step 7: Delete the default Preferences folder
In order for Live to use the preferences file in the newly created shared location, the default Preferences folder needs to be deleted:
- Delete the default Preferences folder (C:\Users\[AdminUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences\)
Step 8: Add Live to the Start Menu for all users
Live will not automatically appear in the Start Menu for all users, so this must be done manually:
Go to the hidden folder C:\Users\[AdminUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Right click the Ableton Live 10 application shortcut and select "Copy" from the context menu:
Then go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. Right click and select "Paste" from the context menu. If prompted to grant administrator permission, click “Continue”:
Live should now appear in the Start Menu for all users.
Step 9: Log-in as a standard user and test
Login with a standard user account and test to see that Live launches without asking for authorization.
Step 10: Repeat steps 1-8 on every computer
This process needs to be repeated on all computers in the lab.
Step 11: Install Live Packs (optional)
Live Packs can be installed to a shared location.
• Create a folder for Live Packs in a shared location on the computer, for example C:\Public\Documents\Ableton Live Packs
• From Live's Preferences > Library tab, set the Installation Folder for Packs to the folder you just created.
• Download and install your Live Packs.
• Each user can then set the Installation Folder for Packs to the folder you’ve created to access the installed Packs.