- Live Versions: 9-10
- Operating System: All
Authorizing Ableton products
Before working with Ableton products, it is necessary to authorize them for use with your computer. You can authorize Live either online or offline:
Before you authorize Live
Please ensure that you have registered the Live serial number in your Ableton user account. A registration is only required if you have purchased Live through a reseller. If you purchased Live through our webshop, the license is registered automatically for your convenience. If you do not yet have a serial number, you can still use Live (with or without its add-on instruments) but you will not be able to save or export your work.
Once Live is registered, you can download the latest Live installer from your Ableton user account and install the software.
Authorizing Live online
Authorizing online is the easiest way to authorize, as Live connects directly to the Ableton server and authorizes automatically. To authorize online, you will need internet access for the computer on which you have installed Live and an internet browser. For the latter, we recommend to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- When starting Live, you will see an authorization dialog:
- Click "Authorize with ableton.com". This will automatically open your internet browser and take you to ableton.com.
- Log in to your Ableton user account.
- Once you're logged in, select the license to authorize.
Should you have more than one Live license registered with your account, use the drop down menu to select a license and make sure that the selected license matches the Live installation you want to authorize:
- Click on "Authorize" and the ableton.com server will send authorization information to your computer:
- Once Live has been authorized successfully, a final dialog is shown:
Please Note: In some cases, Live may not authorize automatically. If this happens, try accessing the authorization page with another web browser (e.g. Firefox or Chrome) or try the offline steps.