When I try to open or save I get an error message "The file cannot be opened or changed"
- Live Versions: 1 - 9
- Operating System: Mac OS X
When I try to open or save a file in Live, I get an error message saying that the file cannot be opened or changed.
This error message is indicating that Live doesn't have the required permissions to access the file.
This might happen for example when trying to open or save files from another user account on the same machine, or external hard disk, or any other location with restricted access rights. The current user account does not have read/write permissions to the content of other user accounts on your Mac.
- In Finder, select the folder containing the affected file.
- Hit [cmd ⌘][I] to open the Info dialog for this folder
- In the "Sharing & Permissions" tab, assign "Read & Write" to your current user account.
- Hit apply to enclosed items so that all other sub-folders are also read/write enabled for your user account.
One scenario where this error might appear is when trying to access a project file which is stored in another user profile. In this case it's recommended to move the project into the following location: Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/ rather than altering the permissions.