I am interested in buying a used copy of Live. What do I need to know?
- Live Versions: ALL
- Operating System: ALL
In most cases, Ableton allows used copies of Live to be sold. But in order to use your new copy of Live and to upgrade in the future, your new serial number needs to be officially transferred to your user account. Please see below for information about transferring licenses.
Before buying a used copy of Live, please consider the following risks:
- Without a serial number, it is not possible to unlock Live. Be sure that any purchase of Live includes more than just a disk - you must receive a legitimate serial number in order to use your purchase.
- Be sure that the serial you're receiving corresponds to the product you're purchasing. We are aware of situations in which someone sells a "full version" of Live, but in fact only has a serial number for Live Lite.
- If your purchase includes information about a free upgrade to a newer version, be sure that this information is timely and accurate. We are aware of situations in which an ad claims that an upgrade is available, but the deadline for the upgrade has already expired.
- In some cases, second-hand sellers have purchased their copy of Live with a fraudulent credit card. These sellers then transfer their serial or Ableton account information to a second-hand buyer. If Ableton becomes aware of a fraudulently purchased serial number, we must disable it - even if it has already been sold to an unsuspecting second-hand buyer. It can take up to 6 months for fraudulent transactions to be discovered. We assume every license is purchased legitimately until we have been informed otherwise.
- In some cases, sellers attempt to transfer an educational license as if it were a full version license. Please be aware that educational versions are sold at a discount, and therefore Ableton can only transfer an educational version if the second-hand buyer is also eligible for an educational license. See this page for more information.
In order to process a license transfer to you, we will need the following information:
- The serial number of the product being purchased
- The email address used for your Ableton account. If you have not yet registered with Ableton, we'll need to know your country and the email address you would like us to use for your new account.
- The email address of the seller
- The full name of the seller
- A request for license transfer, sent to us by the seller
When we have all of this information, we will then transfer the serial number to your Ableton account and send a confirmation to both you and the seller that the license has been officially transferred.
If you are unsure about a second-hand offer, you can ask the seller to contact us, to get an official confirmation of the seller's legitimate license. Ideally they should provide us with your email address, so that we can put you on CC when we reply.