How to reset Live
- Live Versions: All
- Operating System: All
To troubleshoot issues with Live, it can be helpful to reset Live to its factory settings. It makes sure that the problem is not caused by corrupted setting files. By following the instructions, no content will be deleted. However, we highly recommend to perform back-ups of your system before a reset.
In order to perform a full reset of Live, please take the following steps:
1. Close Live
2. Delete the files "Preferences.cfg", and if available "Template.als" and "Undo.cfg" in the following folder, where Live x.x.x corresponds to the version number of Live installed on your computer.
Note: These folders may be hidden on your computer, here's how to access hidden folders on Windows and Mac.
Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10:
Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences\
Mac OS X:
3. If you have previous versions of Live installed you should also delete the same files in their respective folders
4. Restart Live
Note: Resetting Live performs the following actions:
- Your template set will be erased if you have one (you can also temporarily copy the Template.als file to another location in case you don't wish to completely delete it)
- Audio and MIDI hardware needs to be setup again
- Plug-in support needs to be re-enabled
- Custom preferences need to be set again