Red MIDI ports (Windows)
- Live Versions: All
- Operating System: Windows
If the MIDI ports for your controller are red in Live's Preferences (orange in Live 9) they cannot be used. This happens when another application is using the port, or when Windows assumes a different application is using it:
To fix this:
- Close all running applications that might use MIDI ports, including Live.
- Disconnect all USB hardware.
- Reinstall or update the drivers for your USB hardware. Make sure to completely uninstall the old drivers first.
- Reconnect your USB hardware one after another. Try different USB ports per device and re-start Live in between. Make sure that there are no other applications running that might use the MIDI ports (e.g. plug-ins running stand-alone).
- Read this article from Microsoft's support, which gives further solutions and workarounds for USB ports.