The Options.txt file can enable a few experimental and unsupported features in Live. Note that available options may change or be removed in future updates without warning.
How to create an Options.txt file
- Create a new plain text file using a text editor
- Name it Options.txt
- Place it inside the Preferences folder for the current version of Live, following the instructions below
- In Windows Explorer's address bar, type %AppData%
- Select Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming
- Open the folder Ableton
- Find and open the folder for your current version of Live, for example Live 11.2.6
- Open the folder Preferences. Place the Options.txt file inside this folder.
- In Finder, select the Go Menu, then hold down the Option key on your keyboard.
- Open the Library folder that appears.
- Scroll down to open the enclosed folders Preferences > Ableton
This opens the path, Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Ableton (usually hidden).
- Open the folder for your current version of Live, for example Live 11.2.6
Place the Options.txt file into this folder.
Where to find Live's Preferences folder
Note: Here's how to access hidden folders on Windows and Mac OS X.
Adding options to the Options.txt file
- Add one option per line with the correct format; each option begins with a hyphen, and some options may also require an underscore.
- If you use the wrong format, you will get an error message when opening Live.
- You need to restart Live to activate the option(s).
- The file format of the Options.txt must be plain text.
Line to add to Options.txt file: -DisableGraphicsHardwareAcceleration
Disables the Metal-based UI rendering that is enabled by default in Live 11.2
Line to add to Options.txt file: -_PluginAutoPopulateThreshold=64
Auto-populates the plug-in parameter list if a plug-in has a number of less or equal than X parameters.
Default = 64
Min = 1
Max = 128
128 will always populate the list with max. 128 parameters, regardless of how many parameters the plug-in has.
Line to add to Options.txt file: -DontCombineAPCs
Deactivates the APC combination mode: won't align and sync the session rings of multiple APCs so they can be moved independently.
EnsureKeyMessagesForPlugins (Windows only)
Line to add to Options.txt file: -_EnsureKeyMessagesForPlugins
This option solves a problem with certain VST plug-ins (such as NI's Reaktor), where keyboard data does not reach the plug-in.