Using Live Trial or Beta Preferences in a release version
When Live is updated in your computer, the application preferences are automatically copied from the previously installed version. After using the Trial or Beta version of Live, however, when you next install a release version, these preferences are not automatically copied.
If you've modified your preferences in the Trial or Beta and you wish to transfer these to the next release version, you can copy them over manually, following the steps below.
Note: The release version of Live needs to be opened at least once to create the Preferences folder.
1. Here's how to open hidden folders on Windows and macOS. Open the hidden Preferences folder in this location:
- Windows: \Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 11.x\Preferences\
- macOS: /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 11.x/
2. Manually copy Library.cfg, Preferences.cfg and Options.txt (if used) from the latest Live Preferences folder (e.g. Live 10.1.43 / Live 11.0b27) into the latest Live Preferences folder (e.g. Live 11.3.13).
Library.cfg contains Collection labels, User Library information, and Places storage information
Preferences.cfg contains any chosen settings from Live's Preferences
- Options.txt contains any options you have added
3. You can also transfer templates saved in the Trial or Beta version.
In Live 10, you can find the Template.als file in the Preferences folder, and copy this as described above.
As of Live 11, the Templates folder is in the User Library, located by default at this location:
- Windows: C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Ableton\User Library\Templates
- macOS: Macintosh HD/Users/[Username]/Music/Ableton/User Library/Templates