Issues using USB 3-to-display connectors on macOS 10.11 and 10.12
- Live Versions: 10
- Operating System: macOS 10.11, 10.12
Some USB3-to-HDMI/VGA connectors (adapters or hubs) may cause Live's interface to become unresponsive with some or all of the following symptoms:
- Live's title bar grayed-out
- Completely blank/white interface
- Live's interface stops responding to mouse clicks.
- Parameters can still be manipulated, but there will be no visual response from Live.
This problem occurs due to a compatibility issue between the adaptor drivers, macOS 10.11 and 10.12, and Live's Core Animation services.
In some cases, updating the adaptor's drivers works. Check the manufacturer's website for the latest driver.
Otherwise, updating to the latest version of macOS resolves the issue as this doesn't seem to occur in macOS 10.13 and later.
Another solution is to not use the hub and instead connect the monitors to the computer either directly or using a thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapter, which does not have the same issue.