"The folder cannot be created"/ "The file cannot be created"
- Live Versions: All
- Operating System: All
There are three potential reasons for this error message:
1. Folder permissions are set to read only
If the permissions on the required folders are set to read only, then you need to enable full read/write access. Here's how to enable full read/write access on folders.
2. Bitdefender is blocking Live from saving or creating files
If using an antivirus software like Bitdefender, Live needs to be added to the safe applications list in order to save files to certain folders. From their site:
"Those applications that try to change or delete protected files may be flagged as potentially unsafe and added to the Blocked applications’ list. If such an application is blocked and you are sure that its behavior is normal, you can allow it by following these instructions:
- Access Protection.
- In the Safe files pane, click Application access.
- The apps that have requested to change files in your protected folders are listed here.
- Locate the application you are sure is safe and set the switch next to it to Allow."
If you're getting the error when Live is launching, then the preferences may have become corrupt. Reset Live to restore the default settings and paths.
3. The file path contains more than 260 characters
The error can occur if the file name and its directory route contain more than 260 characters.
On Windows 10, it is possible to change this limitation by enabling NTFS long paths.
Note: Make sure to updated Windows to its latest version.
Click Window key and type gpedit.msc, then press the key. This launches the Local Group Policy Editor.
Navigate to .
Double click .
Select , then click .