Creating MIDI Mappings
- Live Versions: All
- Operating System: All
You might want to create your own custom MIDI mappings in the following situations:
- Your controller doesn't have an included Control Surface.
- Your controller has a Control Surface but you want to override some parameters.
- Your controller has a dedicated User Mode.
First you'll need to configure the MIDI ports in Live's Preferences --> Link/MIDI. Enable the "Track" and "Remote" switches for the input port (to allow receiving and mapping MIDI data ) and the "Remote" Output switch (to allow for visual feedback on the controller). The exact configuration might vary depending on your MIDI device. More details in our article on Live's MIDI ports.
To create a MIDI mapping:
- Turn MIDI map mode on (Mac: CMD + m, Windows: Ctrl + m).
- Select the function you wish to map, eg. a volume fader.
- Move a knob or slider on your controller.
- The controls are now mapped.
- Repeat as required for the remaining controls you wish to map.
- Exit MIDI map mode.
For a detailed overview of this, read the Live manual section: MIDI and Key Remote Control.
Note: MIDI mappings can be saved as part of your default template set.