Making custom MIDI Mappings
- Live Versions: All
- Operating System: All
You might want to create your own custom MIDI mappings in the following situations:
- Your controller doesn't have a Control Surface.
- Your controller has a Control Surface but you want to override some parameters.
- Your controller has a dedicated User Mode.
First, you'll need to configure the MIDI ports in Live's Preferences > Link/MIDI. Enable the Remote switch for visual feedback on the controller. The exact configuration can vary depending on your MIDI device.
To create a MIDI mapping:
- Turn MIDI map mode on: Mac: CMD + m, Windows: Ctrl + m.
- Select the function you want to map, e.g. a volume fader.
- Move a knob or slider on your controller.
- The controls are now mapped.
- Repeat for the remaining controls you want to map.
- Exit MIDI map mode.
For a detailed overview, read the Live manual section on MIDI and Key Remote Control.
Note: MIDI mappings can be saved as part of your default template Set.