Troubleshooting installation problems on Windows
- Live Versions: All
- Operating System: Windows
Live's installer MSI file may not run, run correctly or will fail to complete installation if certain Windows services are not set up correctly. There are a few factors involved in the installation process on Windows. These tips will take you through the various steps involved in troubleshooting such problems.
Note: it may not be necessary to complete every step, so test the installation after each step, by trying to launch the Live installer.
Step 1: Re-Download:
- Change web-browser (we recommend Chrome or Firefox), and login to your Ableton.com account
- Re-download the latest setup file for your version of Live, from your account.
- Once downloaded, use 7-zip to extract the files to a safe, known location
Step 2: Update:
- Using Windows Update, make sure that all available updates are installed.
- An important update for older Windows versions is the Microsoft's Visual C++ package:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
- After the updates have completed, restart Windows and try to install Live again.
Step 3: Verify that the Windows Installer service is running:
- Click the "Start" menu, then type "services.msc" in the search box.
- Press the "Enter" button to open the Windows Services.
- Right-click the "Windows Installer" service, then select "Properties." The Startup Type box should be marked as "Manual" and not "Disabled."
- Make the change, if necessary, then click the "OK" button.
- Select the "Windows Installer" service from the same dialog box. Then click the "Start" option. The service should load without errors.
Step 4: Re-register the Windows Installer service:
- Register the Windows Installer service again. Click the "Start" icon, then open the "Accessories" folder, and click "Command Prompt."
- Type "MSIExec /unregister" at the prompt. Then type "MSIExec /regserver." This will re-register the Windows Installer service.
Step 5: Further Troubleshooting:
- If you experience some errors when performing Windows Updates, then you may need to run the Windows troubleshooting utility. You can find more information in the 'Solution' section in this article.
- If you are still experiencing problems, there may a deeply rooted factor at play.
- You can try run a System File Check & Repair
- As a last resort, you may need to repair your installation of Windows.