Live is slow to start or hangs on launch
- Live Versions: 8 - 10
- Operating System: All
There are various reasons that Live may be slow to launch or hang entirely while launching. We've documented the most common reasons below and their solutions. If Live is crashing on launch instead, please see our main article: Troubleshooting Crashes of Live.
1. "Live is not responding" and fails to launch
If Live fails to launch, and the application shows as "not responding", most often this is caused by a connected device. You'll need to troubleshoot in order to find the culprit:
- Shut down the computer completely
- Disconnect all USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt peripherals (audio interface, hub, external drives, printer etc)
- Restart the computer
- Try to launch Live
- If it works, then close it again and connect your peripherals one by one, testing each time by launching Live in between
If you manage to pinpoint the issue to one device, try the following:
- Change the cable that you're using to connect it with. Make sure to use a high quality cable with a ferrite bead
- Try connecting directly rather than through a hub (if used)
- Make sure that the drivers and firmware for that device are updated (where applicable)
- If necessary re-install the drivers
- If it continues to stop Live from launching, you should contact the manufacturer directly to inform them
2. Live is slow to launch
In case Live takes several minutes to launch this could be occurring for one of the reasons below:
Large Database (Win/Mac)
The browser database contains location information and meta-data about files and folders of Live's library and packs, as well as content added to Places. If there is a very large amount of files in the folders added to Places, then this could result in a slow launch time. Avoid adding entire drives to Places and only add discrete folders, containing Live-readable content only (media files, live specific files). In order to remove existing folders from Places, right click the folder and select "Remove from sidebar". More information in our article: Adding and managing content in Places.
Incompatible MIDI Drivers (Mac)
The most prominent MIDI problem on OSX is caused by a Digidesign MIDI driver which is not fully compatible with later versions of OSX and causes all MIDI applications to hang while trying to initialize this driver. The system's Audio-MIDI-Setup is also affected (/Applications/Utilities/). The solution is detailed on our dedicated article: Live hangs while launching due to outdated MIDI drivers.
3. Error messages on launch
"Company support Dir not found" Error message (Mac)
This error message can be shown due to incompatible MIDI drivers (as above) or audio driver issues. See our dedicated article for solutions: "Company Support Dir not found" (Mac)
"Error reading [File Path]/Preferences.cfg." Error Message (Win/Mac)
In case you're getting this error message when launching, see our article: "Error reading [File Path]/Preferences.cfg."