The Live Browser
- Live Versions: All
- Operating System: All
Live's Browser enables you to quickly access all of Live's factory content, Packs, your own user presets, and any other content that you choose to add to it. The Browser can be shown or hidden by unfolding the arrow symbol on the top left of the screen, or with the key commands: CMD + Opt + B (Mac) and CTRL + Opt + B (Windows).
Collections allow an additional level of organization for anything already in Live's Browser (files, presets, devices, plug-ins, sets etc). You can add up to seven Collections, which are color coded and can be renamed or shown/hidden if required.
Live's browser is organized into a number of Categories such as Sounds, Drum Racks, Plug-ins, etc. Many of these categories will be pre-filled with presets, sounds and devices that are part of Live's core library.
The Core library
The Core Library contains Live's factory content and can't be changed by the user. It is installed in the following location:
- Windows: C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live\Resources\Core Library
- Mac: Macintosh HD/Applications/Ableton Live Suite > Right-click “Show Package Contents” > Contents/App-Resources/Core Library
Read our dedicated article on The Core Library.
The User Library
The User Library is the default location for items you save yourself, such as default presets, Grooves, your personalized Racks and Device presets, your own samples, Live Clips, etc. Files that you save to your User Library will also be available in the appropriate Categories labels.
The default location of the User Library is:
- Windows: \Users\[username]\Documents\Ableton\User Library
- Mac: Macintosh HD/Users/[username]/Music/Ableton/User Library
You can also define a custom location for the User library in Live's Preferences > Library.
Each Pack appears as a folder in the browser's Packs label, and can be unfolded to reveal that Pack’s contents.
The default location for installed Packs is:
- Windows: \Users\[user]\Documents\Ableton\Factory Packs
- Mac: Macintosh HD/Users/[YourUsername]/Music/Ableton/Factory Packs
You can also define a custom location for Packs in Live's Preferences > Library.
The download location for Packs is:
- Windows: \Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Ableton\Cache\PackDownloads
- Mac: /Users/[YourUsername]/Library/Caches/Ableton/PackDownloads
To preview and load your own Samples or Live Sets from the browser, you can add them in folders to Places.
To add a folder to Places, you can either click on Add Folder, or drag and drop a folder from your computer onto Places.
Only readable content will be displayed in Places, such as audio files, Live Sets and Live Presets.