The Live Browser
- Live Versions: All
- Operating System: All
Live's browser lets you quickly access factory content, Packs, user presets, and any other content that you add to it.
The browser can be shown or hidden by unfolding the arrow symbol on the top left of the screen, or with the key commands: CMD + Opt + B (Mac) and CTRL + Opt + B (Windows).
With Collections you can organize anything in the browser using up to seven color coded sections.
Live's browser is organized into Categories such as Sounds, Drum Racks, Plug-ins, etc. These categories are filled with presets, sounds and devices that are part of Live's Core Library.
The Core library
The Core Library contains Live's factory content and can't be changed by the user. It is installed in the following location:
- Windows: C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live\Resources\Core Library
- Mac: Macintosh HD/Applications/Ableton Live Suite > Right-click > Show Package Contents > Contents/App-Resources/Core Library
The User Library
The User Library is where you can save your own default presets, Grooves, Racks, samples, etc. Items you have saved to your User Library will also be available in the Categories section of the browser.
The default location of the User Library is:
- Windows: \Users\[username]\Documents\Ableton\User Library
- Mac: Macintosh HD/Users/[username]/Music/Ableton/User Library
You can also define a custom location for the User Library in Live's Preferences > Library.
Live Packs are stored in the Places section of the browser. Each Pack can be unfolded to reveal its contents.
The default location for installed Packs is:
- Windows: \Users\[user]\Documents\Ableton\Factory Packs
- Mac: Macintosh HD/Users/[YourUsername]/Music/Ableton/Factory Packs
You can also define a custom location for Packs in Live's Preferences > Library.
The download location for Packs is:
- Windows: \Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Ableton\Cache\PackDownloads
- Mac: /Users/[YourUsername]/Library/Caches/Ableton/PackDownloads
To preview and load your own Samples or Live Sets from the browser, you can add them in folders to Places.
You can either click on Add Folder, or drag and drop a folder from your computer onto Places. Only readable content will be displayed in Places, such as audio files, Live Sets and Live Presets.