Enabling Audio over USB in iOS devices
- Live Versions: All
- Operating System: Mac 10.11.1 and later; iOS 9 and later
As of Mac OS 10.11.1 "El Capitan", it is possible to stream audio from your iOS device to your Mac via the lightning cable.
Take the following steps:
- Attach your iOS device via Lightning cable.
- Open Audio MIDI Setup (found in Applications/Utilities), go to Window > Show iOS Device Browser.
- Enable the desired iOS device.
- Open Live
- Open Preferences → Audio, then choose the IOS device as an audio input device.
In order to record audio from multiple connected iOS devices, first create an Aggregate Audio Device in Audio MIDI Setup. Then choose this Aggregate Device in Live's Preferences > Audio tab.
Note: In case you are using a Lightning cable connection as an offline method, activating iOS in 'Audio MIDI setup' switches the connection mode of the iOS and deactivates Link. We recommend using a network-based connection in case you need to send or receive audio via iOS.