"Ableton Live 8" can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed.
- Live Versions: Live 8
- Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7 and above
When opening Live 8 for the first time on Mac OS X 10.7 and above, the operating system is showing an error message that the application can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed.
Gatekeeper Error Message
Note: Live 8 is officially supported only up to Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks".
With Mac OS 10.7 "Lion" Apple introduced a feature called "Gatekeeper". It prevents certain applications to be installed on the system in order to help protecting the computer from malware.
- Open the System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General tab
- Make sure that the lock in the lower left corner is open. If it's closed, simply click on it and confirm with entering your admin credentials.
- Now, set "Allow applications downloaded from:" to "Anywhere". Keep the Preferences window open.
- Afterwards launch Live 8 once again. It should open normally, now.
- Switch back to the Preferences window and set "Allow applications downloaded from:" back to the original setting.
Security & Privacy settings
Further information about the Gatekeeper and its different settings can be found in a dedicated knowledge base article on the Apple web-site.