How to send Program Change messages from Live
- Live Versions: 4 - 10
- Operating System: All
Live can send Program Change messages to external synthesizers, plug-ins and other MIDI devices. Program Change messages are used to switch presets on your MIDI instrument.
Note: Live doesn't respond to incoming Program Change messages.
How to send Program Change messages
- Create a MIDI track.
- Route the MIDI out to your external device, or load External Instrument or a plug-in (as required).
- Create a MIDI clip.
- Open the Clip View and show the Notes Box.
- Select a Bank/Sub Bank/Program Change value in the appropriate choosers.
- Launch the clip to send the Program change message to your device/plug-in.
Things to note:
- The implementation of Program Change, Bank and Sub-bank values varies depending on the device receiving them. Some devices might not even respond to Program Change messages. Please check your MIDI device's documentation for details.
- A clip sends one single Bank/Program Change message to one MIDI port and channel only when it is launched.
- To send Bank/Program Change messages to different devices at the same time, create and launch different clips with the appropriate Bank/Program Change data.
- Using the Program Change option makes Live send MIDI CC 32 commands. This is the reason why MIDI CC 32 does not appear as available MIDI control data in the Envelopes section of a Clip.