How to use an external Max for Live installation
- Live Versions: 9-10
- Operating System: All
With Live 10, Max for Live is bundled with your Live installation. Once you've installed Live, Max for Live is ready to use. However if you want to use an external Max installation instead this is also possible (10.0.6 and later).
Note: In Live 9 there's no option to use a bundled version, you have to install Max separately.
Step 1: Install Max for Live
- Download the latest version of Max 8 directly from the Cycling 74 website.
- Unzip the downloaded file, launch the Max installer and follow the instructions to install Max on your computer.
Step 2: Choose the external Max application in Live's Preferences
- Open Live's Preferences → File Folder → Max Application.
- By default it's set to use the bundled version in Live 10.
- Instead, click "Browse", locate the standalone version of Max and click "Open".
- Then restart Live for the change to take effect.