How to access the MIDI output of a VST plug-in
- Live Versions: 4 - 9
- Operating System: All
Live tracks containing VST instrument plug-ins provide a MIDI input but an audio output. Therefore it's not possible to record the MIDI output of a plug-in in this track directly. This is possible via track routing:
- Load a VST plug-in into a MIDI track.
- Create another MIDI track.
- In the Input Type chooser (“MIDI From”) of the created track, select the track containing the VST plug-in.
- In the (lower) Input Channel chooser, select the VST plug-in.
In case you want to route the MIDI signal back into the plug-in, do the following (this can be used for example to record the MIDI output of Native Instruments Maschine):
- In the Output Type chooser (“MIDI To”), again select the track containing the VST plug-in.
- In the (lower) Output Channel chooser, select the appropriate plug-in MIDI channel.
- Use this MIDI track to record the MIDI output of the plug-in.
- Create more MIDI tracks to send MIDI data to different MIDI channels.
Here's a video tutorial describing this setup with Native Instrument's Maschine as an example.
Please note that the Audio Unit plug-in standard does not support a direct MIDI out.