Red MIDI ports - unable to use controller (Windows)
- Live Versions: All
- Operating System: Windows
If your MIDI controller is not being recognized by Live and its MIDI ports appear in red in the Live MIDI preferences (orange in Live 9), this means that the MIDI port is not available for use in Live. This can happen because another application is actually using this port or because Windows believes a different application to be using it:
This is how you can resolve this
- Close all running applications that might use the MIDI ports, including Live.
- Disconnect all USB hardware.
- Reinstall or update the drivers for your MIDI and USB hardware. Make sure to completely uninstall the old drivers first.
- Reconnect your USB hardware one after another. Try different USB ports per device and re-start Live in between. Make sure that there are no other applications running that might use the MIDI ports (e.g. plug-ins running stand-alone).
- Read this article from Microsoft's support, which gives further solutions and workarounds for USB ports.