Setting up a Novation Launchpad
Below are instructions for setting up Novation Launchpad MIDI controller with Live. Learn more about Using MIDI controllers with Live.
Accessing Bundled Software
Novation Launchpad is compatible with all versions of Live (Intro/Standard/Suite) and comes bundled with a free license for Live Lite.
Launchpad X & Launchpad Mini MK3
The latest generation of Launchpad devices require Live 10.1.3 or later.
Live 9 & 10
The Launchpad MK1 requires a USB driver to work. The Launchpad S, MK2, Mini, and Pro are class compliant and do not require this driver.
- If using the MK1, download the correct driver from Novation, otherwise skip to step 2.
- Connect the Launchpad to your computer and start Live. The correct Control Surface should already be automatically selected. In case this does not happen or you need to change it:
- Open Live's Preferences (CTRL+, / CMD+,) and show the MIDI/Sync tab.
- In one of the available Control Surface choosers, select the Launchpad which matches your device. Please note: The MK2 and Pro have their own listings, for the MK1, Mini, and S use the "Launchpad" option.
- In the related Input and Output choosers, select Launchpad as well:
- Make sure that the MIDI ports for the Launchpad are configured correctly. Enable "Track" and "Remote" for the Launchpad's inputs and outputs.
- For the Launchpad MK2 and Pro, you will also need to enable the output Sync port.
Tutorial Videos from Novation
Novation also have an excellent series of videos explaining how to set up the Launchpad with Live.